How to Select the Best White Wine for a Dinner Party?
David Regan | May 23, 2023
When hosting a dinner party at home or any other place, you have to think of arranging everything in the proper way. This is applicable to foods and beverages, too. While some people think of keeping alcoholic beverages on the menu, you can skip that. Wine makes for an ideal companion to foods at dinner parties. However, it is also necessary that you pick the apt wine variants for such an event. In many such parties, white wines are preferred by people.
Picking the right white wine types for a dinner party
White wines are available in so many flavors and the aroma and tartness are liked by most people. You can pick from the following types:
- Chardonnay- This is one of the popular white wine types. The variant is light and dry and also has a light acidity to it. It comes in so many flavors, like tropical, spicy nutmeg, apple, pineapple and citrus. Dry Chardonnay goes well with chicken delicacies as well as fish sauces. You may serve it chilled and wine connoisseurs have a penchant for Oaked Chardonnay.
- Moscato- This sweet white wine has an Italian origin. You can pick from various styles such as- fortified, still, and bubbly. This is known to be a low-acidity wine and so you can relish the sweetness of grapes. Its amazing floral scents and fruity signatures of apricot and peach make it a favorite. You can serve it with either spicy or sour snacks.
- Sauvignon Blanc- This white wine has a French root. This is a delicious earthy dry wine with spicy notes and a nice light aroma. It’s natural aromas and freshness of flavor make it a winner. Sauvignon Blanc is typically served at dinner with oysters, salmon, pork, and turkey. However, you may also serve it with soft cheese and vegetable salads.
- Pinot Grigio- This Italian white wine is made from quality Pinot grapes and balances the acidity and sweetness. It is served mostly with creamy pasta sauces and seafood dishes.
- Riesling- The white wine with a German root, has a typical ‘oily’ feel. It gels well with Asian dishes and you can also use it as a dessert wine.
Tips to pick the right variant
To ensure the white wine strain you choose is a hit at the dinner party, think of a few factors carefully.
- What will be the guests like, when it comes to a penchant for wine? If it is a mixed lot, you can go for something like Chardonnay.
- For a dinner party where most guests are wine lovers and prefer exotic variants, go for something like Sauvignon Blanc.
- It makes sense to analyze the foods and snacks list before picking the white wine. Some variants go well with spicy dishes while others are served often with meat and fish delicacies.